Wednesday 10 March 2010

The last Inca...

... lives in my hostel! Unfortunately not for long anymore. We did spend a jolly few weeks together, I must say. He's been my 'Peruvian' master - showing me around and teaching me the basics of how to become a Peruvian instead of showing off my gringo-ness. Actually, señor Lupo, a retired veterinarian, has been living in the US for the past 50 years. But he's stayed Peruvian in his heart, and as a sun from the Andes highlands he prides himself of his Inca-roots.

The first weekend we went all around Miraflores, one of Lima's fanciest and safest districts, tasting food and drinks at gastronomic festivals, indulging our stomachs with tropical fruit, chirimoya (s.Lupo: "oh, this fruit is one of the best there is; it's like sex - once you've tasted it, you only want to have more of it!"), cebiche, tamales, anticuchos (s. Lupo: "oh, this dish, it's like sex - once you've tasted it, you only want to have more of it!"), picarones and many more Peruvian delicacies. Truth be said - I want more of it!

Life in Peru can be quite hard, you know. Here's what we had to endure on a Sunday afternoon, sitting on a terrace with a cold Cusqueña - the best Peruvian beer there is according to s.Lupo:

view from the miradora in Barranco, (c) Tom Van den Steen

No comments: