Monday 29 August 2011

(Ctrl/Cmd+F)reedom!

This fascinating piece in The Atlantic came to my attention via the wonderful world of interlinkage between blogs. As it has the statistical potential of benefiting nine out of ten of this blog's readers (if there were so many, that is), here's your recipe for freeing up your internet searches.

90 percent of people in their studies don't know how to use CTRL/Command + F to find a word in a document or web page! I probably use that trick 20 times per day and yet the vast majority of people don't use it at all. "90 percent of the US Internet population does not know that. This is on a sample size of thousands," Russell [someone at Google who gets paid to look at people - I believe they call that 'anthropology'] said. "I do these field studies and I can't tell you how many hours I've sat in somebody's house as they've read through a long document trying to find the result they're looking for. At the end I'll say to them, 'Let me show one little trick here,' and very often people will say, 'I can't believe I've been wasting my life!'"

While I'm at it, I might as well share xkcd's golden security tip: stop inventing ludicrous passwords, just go for something long and keep it simple!

No comments: